How old is my house?

Row of houses, varying in age.

Ten years ago, I stood on the front doorstep of my new home, waiting for the delivery lorry to arrive. An older couple walked past my house and then doubled back to look up at it.

I asked if I could help them and the man explained that he was researching his family history. His great-grandfather had bought and lived in my house when it was newly built, back in the Victorian period. Through conversation, I learnt the exact date was 1897.

What should you do though, if you want to know the exact age of your house and don’t have a friendly amateur historian to hand!

How HM Land Registry can help

Some people get in touch with us to ask “How old is my house?”, often because they need this information to take out building insurance.

We keep records of land ownership, not what’s built on the land. If your property was sold by the developer who built it though, you could find out its approximate age using the date of the first transfer or lease by the developer, as this date is often referred to in the register.

Get a copy of a title register

If your property was not sold by the developer who built it, we won't have any information about its age.

Other ways to find out how old your house is

If you are in the process of buying the house, ask your seller or their agent. As part of a sale, the seller must complete a ‘Seller’s property information form’ which may contain the property’s age.

If you have a mortgage, your survey may say how old the building is.

Your local authority may have a record of when planning permission was granted.

Ask any neighbours who live in similar properties, if they know the age of theirs.

Find the age of older properties

How old is my house?

If you have an older house, you could:

1. Comment by Michael Limbrey posted on

With unregistered title the whole history was available.

2. Comment by D Bushnell posted on

Why can’t I just put in my address and get an answer back as to when it was built

• Replies to D Bushnell>

D Bushnell - we don't register when a house was built as the article explains. There is no central body that does so for properties in England and Wales

3. Comment by Mary Kernan posted on

Will the register tell what your property is built on?

• Replies to Mary Kernan>

Mary - if you mean what the land/soil consists of then no

4. Comment by Karen Abbott Raphu posted on

My mother has just passed away,
    She told me her first home as a small child was Tyler Treet Huts. Can anyone tell me more please? She was Gladys Abbott, born in 1922.

• Replies to Karen Abbott Raphu>

Karen - we register the ownership of land/property so I would recommend that you research the property in more detail to ascertain it's location/current postal address and then ownershu0p and work back from there.

5. Comment by Billy posted on

When was my house made

• Replies to Billy>

Billy - have a read of the blog article and carry out any appropriate research from there

6. Comment by Marguerite Comber posted on

Thanks for such a helpful blog M.

7. Comment by B b posted on

What was on land my house was built on before houses

• Replies to B b>

B b - you will need to research old maps with Ordnance Survey to see what was there before the house or do some local research as appropriate

8. Comment by Jon Burtwee posted on

How old is the land used to build my house on, is it older than my garden?

• Replies to Jon Burtwee>

Comment by ianflowers posted on

Jon - it's difficult to answer this as land ownership has existed for hundreds of years and tracing deeds from historical times is often not possible. Most house plots. e.g. including the house land and garden were originally part of a larger estate or manor. The current edition of the register may reference deeds which relate to when that estate was sold off (in whole or part) into house plots, but often the register is silent on these matters.

This blog also sets some options for tracing the ownership of an older house which may also give some information/clues as the ownership of the land itself.

9. Comment by Mr. C. posted on

I need advice on fence ownership. The boundary fence on one side at the front of my property was originally shared when the properties were built back in 1976’ish. I have written proof that in 1998 the owners of the neighbouring property built a new fence there. Consequent owners of the property have maintained it. The latest owner who moved in around 2010 has always denied responsibility for maintaining the fence. They eventually replaced some fence panels after I explained about the history.
    The last year or so the fence has become very dilapidated and finally one panel was all but destroyed in a storm in January. After months of not being safe to park my car on my drive safely the dispute about ownership of the fence has resurfaced. I have said to my neighbour that I will deal with the fence and she has agreed.
    Can someone advise me what is the least costly way of documenting my ownership of the fence before I spend a lot of money bringing it up to a good standard?

10. Comment by Mr. C. posted on

Thank you AdamH.

11. Comment by Ray posted on

hi will the Title tell me what company built the house

• Replies to Ray>

Ray - if the register refers to the plot sale and it's Conveyance/Transfer then yes.

12. Comment by Sam Foster posted on