Skip to main content

Getting the most from Application Enquiry part 1

Posted by: , Posted on: - Categories: Digital services

Yesterday, I told you that land and property professionals have been using Application Enquiry to reduce the time and cost of their conveyancing.

This week, we offer five tips that will help professionals get the most from the service. The advice in this blog builds on the step by step instructions in our Application Enquiry user guide and adds some context.

Please note that where we refer to ‘you’, we are assuming you are a land or property professional with access to the HM Land Registry portal, our online transactional channel. We are also assuming you have some knowledge and experience of using the service.

Tip 1: Search by ‘HM Land Registry Reference’ to save time and see specific information

You can use your HM Land Registry Reference (we usually supply this when you send us your application) to search for your applications.

In some situations, this can help you find what you are looking for quicker than if you search by title number. Why? Because the HM Land Registry Reference is unique to each individual application, whereas a title number could have several applications against it.

When you search by HM Land Registry Reference, you are taken directly to the 'application details’ screen, so you won’t have to scroll through the list of pending applications against a title to find the one you are looking for.

The application details screen shows you whether we have completed or cancelled the application (if you search within 30 calendar days of the date you applied), and where we have sent any documentation.

We cannot display this information when you search by title number!

Searching by HM Land Registry Reference is especially useful if you are trying to find out about a new title application and you don’t have a title number yet. When you reach the application’s details screen, you will see its title number if we have allocated one. You can then click on this to go to the list of other pending applications against that title.

Tip 2: Save application details for later

You can create a permanent record of an application’s details with the ‘Save as PDF’ function.

It’s quicker and simpler than taking a screenshot or contacting us for confirmation and comes with the following advantages. It’s:

• HM Land Registry branded, which could come in handy if you need to send a client (or other interested party, like a lender) formal proof of status
  • date and time stamped
  • smart – the PDF will only contain the important on-screen information while superfluous items are excluded
  • easy to save the PDF to a folder or location of your choice

More tips coming tomorrow!

I hope you have found these useful, and we’ll be back tomorrow with three more tips.

Sharing and comments

1. Comment by Vaughan Pursall posted on

Thanks, just as we thought. Let’s hope they address the latest queries and things aren’t held up yet again.
    Best Wishes, Vaughan

2. Comment by Vaughan Pursall posted on

Thanks Ian, I just wrote a comment but I don’t think it got sent, so forgive me if this is duplicated.
    The situation is as I thought and we’ll be taking this up with our solicitor. You’ve been very helpful and we can only hope that things can now be settled quickly.
    Vaughan

3. Comment by AdamH posted on

Vaughan - the registration was completed on 15th July so if the solicitor has not received the confirmation/deeds then they need to contact us

4. Comment by Dominika posted on

Good morning,

I had my lease extended in July 2019 and at the end of January 2020 I have provided my Solicitors, that dealt with the LE, with the Memorandum of Sale. It's been confirmed to me that Land Registry (LR) approved our request to expedite the registration of new lease, but have also informed that it may take weeks from now.
    I am in a chain where both sides, my vendor and my buyer, are very motivated to exchange and complete asap, and as you can expect I am being chased for that new Title from all sides.
    I myself am chasing the Solicitors, that dealt with the LE, but all I get is that they have not heard from LR and that it may take weeks...
    How can I ensure my lease is registered in good time and not to cause the transaction to fall through.

The property in question is 69C, DA7 4DL

Many thanks in advance for any help!

5. Comment by Dominika posted on

Good afternoon Adam,
    Has there been any progress on my lease registration please?
    Many thanks!

6. Comment by Zoe posted on

Our land registry was submitted in January 2019 and still hasn't been updated.
    I have spoken to land registry twice and the solicitor we used for our original purchase has said he'd expedite our application as we are now under offer and need to exchange within 28 days otherwise we lose our reservation fee on our new house.
    Can I get confirmation that it has been expedited?

• Replies to Zoe>

Zoe - your solicitor can confirm that for you as they can check the details online. If you have the title number and case reference then you can email customersupport@landregistry.gov.uk but I would suggest speaking to your solicitor as that would be quicker and they can also advise as to why the continued hold up or any new delays for example

• Replies to AdamH>

Comment by Zoe posted on

Thank you for your reply.
        I've spoken to the solicitor and he said they've sent a request to escalate our case on the portal and I have emailed the case number to the email above.
        I will await a response.
        Thanks